What is it with privacy and celebrities and at what point were they fair game?
Apparently Jennifer Lawrence was “asking for it” when she took personal photos of herself, stored them on a private network and had them backed up by i-cloud* on her own PERSONAL space and someone hacked in and took them.
If she had printed them and placed them in her house and someone broke the lock on her front door to get them, they’d be done for breaking, entering and stealing.
Hopefully these perpetrators will be investigated but the general public seem to think that you hand over any right to your life the minute you appear on-screen or in a magazine and I’m, quite frankly, appalled at this.
I’ve long since given up on celebrity magazines. It was hard at first, but now, I genuinely do not miss them. I did it for several reasons. Primarily because I know actors and I think the current obsession with finding out every detail of their life is out of order. Secondly, it’s started going into bullying territory. Apparently in order to feel good about myself I have to be laugh at a famous person’s cellulite/post pregnancy tummy/botched boob job.
That’s a shit way to go about feeling good about yourself.
Yes, people who are famous for being famous court the paparazzi, leak their own material, but this is the minority, the majority who act, sing or dance for a living actually just want a career. They love what they do, they accept that people will be interested but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere.
Most people believe that once you become well known you should:
- Remove any real life photos pre and post fame from every location, virtual or real life. Anything other than dull family portraits.
- Never allow these photographs to be taken either by them or other people
- Don’t be seen drunk, with the wrong drink in your hand, with drugs, smoking ……..basically don’t go out because if you want to do what a lot of normal people do you will be photographed and filmed and you’ll have to answer questions as to why you did it. I mean, like any of us know why we do stuff, but as a celebrity I guess you should know. Everything should be deliberate, right?
- Don’t have an opinion.
- Don’t get too thin
- Don’t get too fat
- Don’t get too bulked up
- Don’t get old
- Don’t get too much cosmetic surgery – basically, get it absolutely right or else.
- Don’t have too many children
- Don’t have no children or divorce or get cheated on (Poor Jen)
- Don’t marry too quickly but don’t wait too long
- Don’t step outside, really. You’re just asking for it.
And above all……….don’t do what normal people do because you don’t deserve it and we’ll find out and then trawl over every aspect of it.
You want to have a career in the entertainment industry? Great. Just sign on the dotted line that you will never have privacy again.
People in the entertainment industry should not be “fair game”. Everyone deserves a private life.
I’m surely not alone in siding with the celebs?
*at the time of writing it was still unclear how the photos were obtained